Student Visa


Students Visas

'Before you begin your UK education, International students from outside the UK or EU must apply for a student visa. There are different types of visa, depending on your age, and on the length and level of the course that you want to study.'

The rules surrounding getting a visa are complicated and change frequently, so it is important to be aware that any information provided here is just a starting point. For comprehensive information, consult your chosen university or visit UKCISA

Student visas are part of the Tier 4 category of visas. They are required by students aged 18 or above who are from outside the EU, are enrolled on courses lasting longer than six months and/or wish to work while studying. Tier 4 visas are awarded on a points-based system, with 40 points required to be eligible for the visa. Your chosen institution will also need to have achieved ‘Highly Trusted’ sponsor status from the UK Border Agency (UKBA)

How do I apply for a visa?

The UK Border Agency has the current version of the visa application form as well as guidance on to how to apply online, should you be able to do so in your home country.

To successfully apply for a student visa you will need to:

    Study on a course recognised by the UKBA as an acceptable programme;

    Provide a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) number from your chosen institution;

    Be able to demonstrate an appropriate level of English language competency;

    Be able to provide confirmation of sufficient funding to cover course fees and living costs;

    Submit the appropriate forms and documentation, including passports, photographs and proof of identity/address.

If you wish to extend your student visa, you must apply well in advance of your current one expiring. Never wait until after your visa expires, as this will affect future applications and could lead to you being deported.

Types of Student Visa


Tier 4 (child) student

You can apply as a child student under Tier 4 of the points based system if you are between the ages of 4 and 17. If you are between 4-15 years old you must be coming to the UK to be educated at an independent fee-paying school.

Child visitor

You can apply for a child visitor visa if you are 17 years old or under and want to study in the UK for up to 6 months. You cannot switch to a Tier 4 child visa. If you want to apply for a Tier 4 child visa you must apply from your home country.

Tier 4 (general) student

You can apply as an adult student under Tier 4 (General) of the points-based system if you are coming to the UK for your post-16 education.

Student Visitor

You can apply as a student visitor if you are 18 years old or over, you want to study in the UK for up to 6 months, and you do not want to work while you are here. You cannot switch and apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa while you are in the UK. If you want to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you must apply from the country you live in.

Prospective student

You can apply as a prospective student if you want to come to the UK to help you decide which course to study, or if you plan to start a course of study within 6 months. You will be able to switch and apply for a Tier 4 (General) or Tier 4 (Child) student visa while you are in the UK.

We advise that you check these websites for up to date information on visas:


Study In The UK Study In The UK Study In the UK





Site Links

IELTS Information

Useful Links

Contact Us

  • all our schools partners are fully accredited by leading accreditation bodies and authorities.


  Copyright © All rights reserved 2012